If you are considering whether clear aligners are the right way to straighten your smile, see how they hold up against regular braces from your West Houston dentist.
When it comes to choosing orthodontic treatment there are a lot of factors to consider. You want to think about your current health, lifestyle, diet, oral hygiene, finances and your dedication to your treatment before you decide on the type of braces for you. From the office of our West Houston, TX dentist, Dr. June Goodall, find out whether Invisalign or traditional braces are the way to go.
What Invisalign Offers
Invisalign can be a great option for patients who need to move teeth but don’t necessarily have complicated smile problems that they need to correct. The more often you wear these removable aligners the better. We recommend wearing them for at least 22 hours out of the day, only removing them before mealtimes or your oral care regime. Each aligner will also be replaced every two weeks.
Invisalign promises many benefits including:
- Comfortable aligners that are less likely to irritate gums or other soft tissue like traditional metal braces often do.
- Being able to straighten your smile more discreetly so classmates or work colleagues don’t notice.
- Not having to worry about dietary restrictions, as you would with metal braces. Just remove your aligners prior to eating and you’re all set.
- Not having to change your oral routine. Instead of having to carefully brush and floss around metal brackets and wires, you can remove your aligners and brush and floss as you normally would.
- Having a shorter treatment time, which is usually the case for adults (average length of treatment is about one year).
What Traditional Braces Offer
With the introduction of new orthodontic treatments, traditional braces have gotten kind of a negative reputation; however, they still do an amazing job at straightening smiles. In fact, if you are dealing with complicated or complex dental movements, Invisalign might actually not be the ideal option. In fact, there are some situations where traditional braces might not only be more effective but may also be faster at fixing gaps between teeth and other issues.
Plus, while for some patients the idea of being able to take their braces off may seem like a positive if you aren’t as disciplined as you should be you may find yourself not wearing them as often as you should. In this case, fixed traditional braces may be the better option.
Invisalign has been a wonderful option for many teens and adults looking to improve the look of their smile, but it all comes down to your specific needs. If you are ready to find out if clear braces are right for you then call our West Houston, TX dental office to schedule your appointment. Turn to Dr. Goodall for the care your smile deserves.